Friday, September 21, 2007

Naming names?

Seems that some on campus want to call out the haters -- who really makes CCSU such a bad place? Good question.

Except...

Naming names assumes that there will be no retribution. In this climate, there are no assurances that if we name names, there will be no retribution -- a bad grade, hostility in the classroom, further tension. I'm here to say that this climate is not the place to do so -- I know I wouldn't name any names because I'm sure I'll get in trouble. I only have to pick up the newspaper to find a list of names. I only have to walk down certain hallways to find names. I only have to see whose trying so hard to protect free speech that they put me on the spot to name names -- which, ironically, keeps me quiet.

Furthermore -- this is a diversionary tactic. Keep the pressure on the real issues -- fees, equal protection, rights as students to learn in a climate free of hostility. Expose me to controversy. Calling for me to be kidnapped and peed on is not controversy -- it is intimidation and hostility. It is a hostile climate here.

No comments: